Monday, April 11, 2011

This will always remind me indelibly of our wedding.


No, not the slightly toolish presentation and composition of the video, but the song itself. Certain moments just get branded into your memory, allowing quick recall even many years later. (Some of my favorite childhood memories are this way.) Before we got married, several people gave me the seemingly cheesy advice (which I think they stole from The Office) that I should look around and take a mental snapshot of the image because the day would be a blur. Of course, they were right, the day was a blur. I tried to get as many images like this as I could throughout the weekend: rehearsal dinner on the back patio with TAC friends; that bottle of port with Dad (which now sits on our bookshelf here in South Bend); late night beers with my groomsmen and others after everyone had left the rehearsal dinner; waking up at 5:45 AM on Saturday and getting up because I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep; breakfast with mom; showering and trying to figure out how in the hell to put on a morning suit; Matt Lancaster (thank you, Matt) suggesting a rosary in the car on the way to the church; getting to the church way too freakin' early and waiting around for what seemed like forever; then this:

You look awfully unhappy there, o father-in-law.

Then on through the wedding, reception, etc., etc., ditto, ditto. I could, of course, name a bunch of other moments but I'll spare you the boredom of it all. Mostly I have specific memories of moments during the reception, including shortly before we left, when they played the above song. (It was huge last summer.) It summed the day up pretty well: lots of chaos, everyone (well, the undignified ones) singing at the top of their lungs, dancing (even the dignified ones) with great abandon.

I'll never hear that song any more without thinking of our wedding, which I must confess I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment