Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I forgot the name of my own blog.

Seriously. I did. That's not a good sign, is it? I finally gave up and went to blogspot.com and logged in. Before that I spent a good 30-45 seconds (a long time in my world) trying frantically to remember it. ("I think it has an M.. yeah, one of the words starts with M. Is it the first or the second? Maybe if I can remember the other initial I can put them in order.")

So this, I guess, means I should do something about updating it, which has so far taken the form of telling you about our collective life here in South Bend.

South Bend is hot. Really hot. This week was exceptionally bad. Yes, I know, I'm from Florida so I should suck it up. The humidity might (emphasis on that word) have been slightly lower here this week but the temperatures were higher than Florida usually gets, so I at least hated being outside as much or more than I did in Florida (which is tolerable in the summer, if you're used to it. My days were spent in cool, dry places this week where possible, with the exception of the golf course early in the morning and gardening in the evening. I do play lots of golf (38 rounds, mostly 9 hole, since April 7th) with a few of my friends who are also research assistants here at school. We go out in the early morning (6:30-7:20) to beat the heat, and then we can get to work by 9:30 or so at the latest. For those of you keeping score at home, I have more than recuperated the cost of the unlimited play student pass I got at the beginning of the season. Haven't managed to break par yet though I think I have hit it 3 times so far, and I'm shooting in the high 30s regularly at this point. I am sure I will break through soon or something.

Then there's work. I am still working for a professor here at school full time on First Amendment issues, which is a lot of fun and pretty fulfilling, since I get to do a good mix of philosophy (right to free speech as such) and current issues (I don't know if you've noticed, but the First Amendment is kind of a big deal.) The only downside is that I spend a lot - a LOT - of time staring at a screen, which sometimes has me ready to smear my body with mud and run naked through the apartment complex alternately yodeling and shrieking war cries. Thus far, however, I have not cracked. I must remain strong, for the enemy is forbidding.

Then there's the evenings, which are spent in with Marie by and large, catching up on our Netflix queue, going for walks, watering and weeding the garden, reading, or getting together with friends. That's one of my favorite aspects of Village life: the great people. A couple friends of ours who went to Steubenville recently had their first, a girl, so Marie - of course - loves having them over so she can steal their daughter (those of you who know Marie will understand.) Oh, and I guess the parents are alright too. I am loathe to start naming all of our wonderful friends here, because I know I will forget someone and be embarrassed when they read this, but suffice to say they are all great and it is wonderful to have so many people within walking distance.

So that tangent notwithstanding (or included), the last paragraph should make it quite clear that summer is a wonderful thing. The drastically lowered workload is very helpful, and I love working from home (which I do often) and coming home in the evenings and not having anything to do, or on my mind.

That is the routine of my life right now. School starts in almost exactly a month and I can't believe how fast it is coming. Life flies by when you are keeping pretty busy. In the meantime, we have all-too-short vacations scheduled for Michigan (with Marie's family) and central Indiana (with mine.) They are going to be wonderful and it is going to be awesome to see everyone!

Oh yeah, pregnancy! I guess that is an important part of our lives. Marie is hanging in there like a trooper (I bet she will love that I used that word) and hanging in there as best she can, despite the heat. Not much time to go now (a little over a month til the due date!) and it feels very surreal. I am sure once school starts and li'l Cantu is born my desire to post (especially pictures) will increase while my ability to decreases.

EDIT: I just looked at some old posts and saw that I predicted that ND would flame out in the second round of the NCAA tournament. And boy, did we ever. I was right! (hooray?)

No comments:

Post a Comment